Here's the first sketch I made for my pattern project. Salade Niçoise, the classic French salad.
Since then I've been painting and repainting my motifs, to get them to feel at home with each other. I wanted to go for a softer look that emphasises the watercolor, so I dropped the heavy outlines I had to start with.
I had a long struggle with the tuna element. Perhaps because it's much larger than anything else, at least if you have a semi-realistic approach.
Late last night I realised what I had to do and painted the yellow tuna can below. I think it captures the feeling of sunshine on a hot summer's day and the hand lettering is a reminder of this recipe's French origin.